The 2013 bike course will comprise three laps and will comply with ongoing road construction to ensure competitor safety.
As indicated in the diagram below, this year’s course takes competitors on Parkes Way and then straight to William Hovell Drive and will take competitors through the CBD, suburbs and out into the ACT countryside before returning to the race HQ area via many of the landmarks and icons of Canberra.
The course is flowing, featuring mainly left hand turns, and covers geography that is flat to undulating, with one longish climb per lap. The road surface is excellent in most of the course, with wide lanes and roadways being used and there are no out and back sections. Competitors are reminded that whilst a lot of the course is on controlled or closed roads there are some sections in which the roads are open to the public and caution must be taken. All intersections are marshalled by either SES or professional traffic marshals and the course will be clearly signed and marked.
There is one Aid Station on the course located at 29 km, 58.20 km and 87.40 km. It is advised to start the Bike with two (2) full drink bottles.
2013 Ironman 70.3 Canberra Bike Course
For a unique perspective of the bike course (and the entire course) CHECK HERE
2013 Bike Course – Km by Km
These instructions should get you around the course:
1. Mounting point in car park – Rond Terraces – pull out into Parkes Way (watch for traffic whilst training, and fellow cycling competitors on race day!)
2. Follow Parkes Way until you go through the Glenlock Interchange (Parkes Way will turn into William Hovell Drive)- 5.35 km
3 Continue allong William Hovell Drive – 8.83 km
4. Turn left onto Coppins Crossing
5. Continue along Coppins Crossing Rd – 14.41 km
6. Turn left onto Uriarra Rd –
7 .Continue Along Uriarra Rd- 15.93 km
8. Turn left onto Cotter Rd
9. Continue along Cotter Rd – 22.33 km
10. Follow Cotter Rd until veer into Adelaide Av- 24.58 km
11. Exit left onto ramp into State Circle – 26.02 km
12. Turn left onto Kings Ave
13. Follow Kings Ave until turn left onto Parkes Way – 27.89 km
14 At T1 after Laps 1 and 2, continue straight on – but on last lap of three. Keep left into Rond Terraces Car Park – 87.66 km
15. Dismount – 87.70km